I found this recipe at www.pamcookingspray.com and just had to try it. We LOVE onion rings, but I HATE deep frying things (and the way it makes my house smell is awful too!) So we made these and they’re fairly easy and very tasty! Yay!
Oven-baked onion rings with the flavor and crunch of traditional deep-fried onion rings
- PAM® Olive Oil No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/3 cup fat free milk
- 1 cup Ultragrain® All Purpose Flour
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cornflake crumbs
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cover 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil; spray evenly with cooking spray.
- Separate onion slices into rings. Dip into milk, then into the flour, turning to evenly coat both sides of each onion ring. Dip coated onion rings in egg whites, then into cornflake crumbs, again turning to evenly coat both sides of each onion ring. Place in single layer on prepared baking sheets; spray evenly with cooking spray.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until onions are tender and golden brown.
Variation: Omit cornflake crumbs. Prepare as directed, coating the onion rings with a mixture of 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds.