I cannot believe I haven’t already posted this recipe. Everyone calls it “Amy’s Potato Salad” but really I just tweaked what was already a GREAT recipe. So, I’m copying and pasting the Hellman’s Mayonnaise recipe (found here) and then I’ll add my “tweaks” so you, too, can enjoy “Amy’s Potato Salad” 😛
Hellmann’s the Original Potato Salad
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks ( 5 to 6 medium)
- 1 cup Hellmann’s mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- In 4-quart saucepot, cover potatoes with water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- In large bowl, combine Hellmann’s Mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper. Add potatoes, celery, onion and eggs and toss gently.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
And now for the “Amy Tweaks”
To the above, also mix in:
1/2 to 1 cup chopped green olives
1 1/2 Tbs dill weed
a couple dashes of Tabasco (we prefer smokey habenero)
My very creative Mother-in-Law also likes to toss in torn up nasturtium flowers (yes, they’ve edible, kind of a peppery taste) when they’re in season. You could garnish the top with whole nasturtium flowers as well!