This comes from one of my favorite and frequently used cookbooks, which happens to actually be a handmade deal put together by a friend of a friend. I don’t actually know Shari Meyer, but I can tell you this, she is a GOOD cook. I love everything I make from her cookbook. Thanks Kim for sharing this gem with me!
I’ve made this bread several times and it’s always a HUGE hit. So yummy and pretty too!
2 pkg. yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp cardamom
1 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
7-9 c. flour
1 tsp water
1. Dissolve 2 pkg. yeast in 1/4 c. warm water.
2. Scald 2 c. milk. Add 1/2 c. butter and cool.
3. Beat 2 eggs and add them to the milk. Add the dissolved yeast.
4. Add: cardamom, sugar, and salt
5. Stir in 7-9 c. flour.
6. Knead 10 min. until shiny and elastic. Shape into a ball and turn up in a well-greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and rise until doubled, about 1-2 hours.
7. Punch down the dough and knead lightly. Shape into 4-6 braided loaves and let rise, covered loosely with plastic wrap.
8. Beat 1 egg with 1 tsp. water. Brush this over the loaves and sprinkle with sugar.
9. Bake at 350º for 25-30 min.